In 2023, competition in organic search is hard. Whether you are internal or working for an agency. The right SEO reporting tool gives you an edge in SEO.
SEO reporting tools give you the behind-the-scenes insights you need to reach results fast(er). Reporting shows you the tactics that work and where you should be spending your marketing budget. Stop wasting cash and resources on strategies that aren’t working. Plus use your reports to impress and convince stakeholders.
So, which SEO reporting software is best?
Finding the Best SEO Reporting Tool
The good news is there are plenty of SEO reporting tools to choose from. But this can be a double-edged sword, as functionality differs greatly and you want to find the right SEO reporting tools that match your tactics. Here are some of our favorites; the best SEO reporting tools to consider.
SurferSEO is a buzzing AI-based SEO tool for SEO writers, content marketing agencies, and SEO professionals. SurferSEO is built for creating optimized content. The core software creates SEO briefings based on keywords you enter.
It uses the SERPs, top-ranking articles, 500 on-page signals, and a healthy dose of AI to analyze the ideal content. It instantly updates the Content Score of your content as you write it.
One of the best ways to use SurferSEO is to improve your content for landing pages, your website, and blogs. You choose the target keyword you want to rank for, and Surfer will give you an SEO briefing with guidelines:
- The average content length: How much to write to rank
- Keyword density and frequency: How often to use specific words terms and
- Semantic terms: Keywords to use alongside your main keywords
For SEO reporting on content health, enter existing web pages to optimize. Plug those into the Content Audit and check out the SERP analyzer. Surfer will do an SEO analysis and give a score for your page, and a review of how to improve it. Surfer compares your content with high-ranking competitors.
To get FAQ inspiration, check out “topics and questions” in the Brief tab. It shows related questions to your topic and search queries.
- Excellent for content writing at scale – and giving inspiration. Our experience is that writers can instantly understand and work with the briefings.
- Helps to optimize existing and create new pages
- Extensive SEO report for your and competitor pages
- The outline builder uses AI to do text and header suggestions
- Extremely easy-to-use.
- To make it 100%, you need to fine-tune the briefings a bit. Remove or add keywords. You can call it a feature, but it still takes some time.
New is that there are also functions to see which keywords will bring the most value and have the most competition.
2. SE Ranking
If you’re keen to improve your keyword rankings, SE Ranking could be the reporting tool for you. SE Rankings platform allows you to pull data from different environments. This makes it easier to find essential keywords.
SE Ranking goes beyond keyword ranking and suggestion features. With SE Ranking you can track your competition too. You can automatically identify opportunities to outrank other similar sites. Plus, you can use a backlink explorer to find linking opportunities. The website crawler built into SE Ranking checks your site for signs of SEO issues.
SE Ranking comes with social media analytics. This bonus feature lets you track your SEO metrics and social scores together.
- Combines SEO and social media metrics
- Helpful insights into your competitor’s strategies
- Marketing plan creation with keyword suggestions
- Backlink explorer helps you find linking opportunities
- Website crawler can quickly spot issues on your site
- Limited options for report customization
No SEO reports without great dashboards. But for more insights, you probably want to show information from multiple tools in one place.
Databox is an SEO reporting tool that combines data in a visual format that is great to share. The app is easy-to-use. The interface is clear and has options to customize your dashboard.
One of the best things about Databox is you can pull data from different environments and update your reports in nearly real-time.
Collect data from Moz, Google Search Console, and Google Analytics with the integration marketplace. Create branded reports if you’re going to be sharing them with clients as a marketing agency.
- Excellent integration marketplace with over 2000+ integrations.
- Customizable dashboarding to focus on the info you need.
- Use it for SEO, but also sales, eCommerce, dropshipping, marketing automation, conversion, and all your other KPIs as well.
- One of the best SEO reporting software options for agencies (with exclusive agency plans).
- Pulls information from Google search console and other tools in real-time
- Easy to create dashboards and visual SEO reports – with hundreds of dashboard examples and templates.
- Not an SEO tool by itself, so you’ll need to connect it to your other tools.
If you want to combine your reporting in an all-in-one environment, this tool is for you. Databox has a free forever plan for the first 3 data sources – that you can start with today.
SEMRush is one of the most popular tools for website analytics. It offers insights into everything that is going on. You can check keywords, PPC opportunities, competitor rankings, and SEO.
The SEMRush dashboard visually organizes your site analytics. Learn about things like search intent, and where to improve your domain authority.
One particularly interesting part of the SEMRush toolkit is the writing assistant. Use it to optimize your article or content based on your Google rivals. The add-on scans your content for originality and improves readability. There is a pretty big marketing community to connect with via SEMRush.
- Excellent for competitor analysis
- Detailed information on site performance and how to improve it
- Location-based searches for local competition
- Notifications if your ranking changes
- Lots of domain reports available even on entry-level plans
- Some of the competitive analysis features cost extra.
- Ranking information is only on Google, while competitors like Ahrefs also include other search engines.
5. Raven Tools
Raven Tools is a go-to choice for search engine data analysis if you’re running your own marketing agency. The tool can be fully white-labeled. With white label saas software, you can present marketing data to clients with your own brand. The cloud-based SEO reporting tool analyzes search queries, social shares, and marketing campaigns.
You can do a lot with a few clicks on Raven Tools. There’s the option to spy on competitors and check out which keywords they’ve been using. You can create and monitor your SEO marketing campaigns. Plus, you get to manage backlinks and pull data from external data sources.
Whether you’re a small business looking for simple SEO reporting, or an agency trying to build your professional brand, Raven Tools is a good pick.
- Great for connecting data sources on one report
- Competitor analysis and web analytics included
- Support for monitoring marketing campaigns
- Suitable for white labeling
- Lacking some extensive insights into organic search traffic
- Can be tough to create custom reports at first
For extensive SEO reporting, few companies have more to offer than Ahrefs. We use it ourselves and it’s just one of the best SEO reporting tools out there.
Ahrefs combines many SEO reports to improve your content, outreach campaigns, and organic ranking.
SEO Site Audit
You can run a monthly or weekly site audit, where it generates all the SEO reports you need. It works on technical SEO, looking for broken pages, errors, and any technical issues with the page loading speed, images, internal linkage, etc. You can view the trends and reports directly from your dashboard
Ahrefs has the largest backlink index in the world, so it’s also great for uncovering link opportunities, content gaps and improving domain authority.
Ahrefs is also one of the best SEO reporting software for keyword and link metrics. You can analyze keywords, get keyword difficulty scores, and analysis of the SERPS.
- Straightforward and very actionable with automated reports
- Helps you keep track of you ranking over time
- Excellent site crawling
- A lot of SEO insights
- Exceptional backlink index
- More expensive than other SEO tools, but in our opinion totally worth it.
- It takes a while to get to know all the features, just because there are so many!
- Lost backlinks report is great, but sometimes backlinks aren’t really lost at all. What is that all about Ahrefs?
Ahrefs has a 7 day, $7 trial. If you haven’t tried them yet, do this today. Get started with Ahrefs.
7. Google Data Studio & Google Analytics
If your aim is to rank higher on Google search, it makes sense you’d use a tool from Google to reach your goals. Google Data Studio is a free-to-use tool within the Google Analytics 360 suite. This software helps companies to convert analytics data from various platforms.
The GDS reports are customizable and easy to understand. You can experiment with things like fonts, labels, colors, borders, and sizes. There’s also the option to drag and fit chart metrics, yet you choose and add your logo to your documents. To make it easier for your audiences, integrate your dashboard with an HTML embed code. This stops audiences from having to log in to Data Studio.
Google Data Studio integrates with BigQuery, Google Analytics, and Google Sheets.
- Lots of modern and interactive data visualizations
- Templates to help you get started with reports
- Pull data from a range of different sources
- Lots of guidance available if you need it
- Team collaboration and integration with the Google Suite
- Some limitations on exportation file formats (PDF, CSV)
- No automation for reporting
8. Moz Pro
Moz is another top SEO software for improving your search engine results. Moz Pro gives you access to ranking tracking, keyword research, and performance reports. You can identify broken links, do backlink analysis, and track competitor data.
The keyword explorer gives you access to 500,000+ keywords for content marketing and organic traffic. Each keyword also comes with a priority score based on search engine and competitor data.
If you’re looking for the best SEO tool for link management, Moz’s Link Explorer comes with an index of over 40 trillion links. You can also use the Moz site crawl tool for examining technical issues on your website. Technical SEO issues include missing title tags, faulty redirects, and duplicate content.
- Great for discovering relevant keywords and ranking opportunities
- Helps you understand how your competitors rank for keywords
- On-page grader for auditing your website
- Easy to track keywords across all major search engines
- Easy to use environment
- The SEO data can be difficult to customize
- There are no tools for managing link outreach
Growthbar is a handy SEO platform designed to improve conversions and domain authority. The tool provides a range of features for your SEO campaigns.
Growthbar has a keyword research tool, for help with targeting. You can examine the quality of each keyword based on search volume, CPC value, and search engine rank.
But mainly it helps you outline the content and does AI-based keyword suggestions for your content.
Growthbar tracks site search engine rankings for specific keywords. You can use your reports to compare performance to competitors. You can check domain authority, examine backlinks, view digital ads, and spy on traffic volume.
- Easy-to-use environment for beginners
- Chrome extension so you can check page rankings
- No limits on queries or keyword research
- Affordable packages to start with
- Basic backlink monitoring
- No difficulty scores on keyword suggestions
What to Look for in the best SEO Reporting Tools
SEO reporting tools analyze your website and provide insights for search engine rankings. Track crucial metrics like backlinks, visits, keyword usage, ranking, and URL with most services.
Your SEO services help with keyword research and studying competitors. They find additional ways to optimize your site. Some solutions feature ways to audit your website for technical issues.
While there’s no one-size-fits-all for the best SEO reporting tools, a few valuable things to look for are:
- Ease of use: You’ll need an easy-to-use interface and simple navigation. Avoid anything which seems too complex.
- Excellent reporting features: Ensure your SEO reporting tools have good primary reporting features. You’ll need things like position tracking, backlink monitoring, and competitor analytics.
- SEO optimization tools: Focus on things like keyword discovery and technical SEO tips.
- Scalability: Your SEO reporting tools should deliver detailed reports as your business grows. This includes gathering data from -multiple environments.
- Advanced features: The best SEO reporting tools enhance your online business. Look for things like report customization, and white-label reporting for agencies
Choosing the best SEO Reporting Tool
Finding a quality SEO reporting tool is much easier than it used to be. There are a lot of choices now with the growth of SEO. You’re not limited to standard tools like Google search console and Google analytics.
While Google webmaster tools still add value, popular SEO reporting tools help refine your strategy.
These tools collect information on your rankings from Google and other search engines. You can track competitor performance, server error pages, and more. With agency-level analytics, you can collect accurate regional data on campaigns.